January 22, 2013

" Backfire "


SCENE 1: Early afternoon at TA.

“Something wrong? Don’t tell me
It’s Hithe drama again.”

KRISTYN: Nope. There’s no drama.

Unless you were lying when
you said it’s his last day.
MONICA: I was very serious.
In fact, Amber is training
his replacement right now. 
Just wait until you meet him.

[ Monica gives her a look &
Kristyn rolls her eyes. ]

KRISTYN: I don’t care.  I have
much bigger things on my
mind right now.
MONICA: Like what?
KRISTYN: Like…I’ve been kind
of exploring my other options.
MONICA:  Hold on.  You’re thinking
about quitting, seriously?

[ Hearing someone behind her
Kristyn turns around to Amber
& the new manager waiting.  ]

AMBER: Hey, I just wanted to
Introduce you to Hahn.
This is Kristyn and Monica.

MONICA: Hello.

[ Kristyn smiles & turns around.  Hahn
gives her a weird look before walking
 off. ]

MONICA: Well, that was cold. 
Even for you.
KRISTYN: I’m just not in a social
type of mood today.  Sue me.


SCENE 2: At Mark and Ski’s house.

[ Ski feels shaking and wakes up. 
Turning over, he sees Chais at
the foot of his bed. ]

“Get off.  I told you about that!”

SKI: Damn it, what time is it?
CHASE: Three, were you getting
up this year or maybe next?
SKI: Ha-ha, you little asshole. 
Think fast.

[ Ski chucks a pillow and hits
Chaison in the head.  ]

CHASE: Mark left you a note.
It’s in the kitchen. 
SKI: Yeah.  I thought I told
you about that too.  It’s Dad. 
CHASE: What. Ever!

[ He starts making kissing sounds. ]

SKI: I’m not playing, punk.
Show some respect already.

[ Chais ignores him and sits
down, shaking the bed again. ]

CHASE: Make me, bitch. 
SKI: Alright.  You wanna play?
CHASE: Yeah, I do.  You ain’t about
 nothing.

[ Chais starts laughing and
doesn’t notice Ski lifting his leg
up until he feels himself falling
off of the bed.  ]

SKI: Respect the floor then.


SCENE 3: In the break room.

[ Just as Kristyn sits down, the
door opens.  Hahn and Kyle
walk inside. ]

HAHN: Hey.  We meet again.
KRISTYN: Yup.  Imagine that. 
Working in the same place
and all.

[ Kyle laughs until he sees
Kristyn’s dead expression. ]

KYLE: Alright then.  I think I’ll
break over here. 

[ He walks away and Hahn sits down
across from Kristyn. ]

HAHN: Giving the situation, shouldn’t
you be happy I’m here now?
KRISTYN: Excuse me?
HAHN: I kind of heard about Hithe. 
KRISTYN: That loose lip little girl.

HAHN: It wasn’t Amber.  Anyway,
you seem sort of hostile right.
So I’ll back off.  I’m just trying
to get to know everyone. See ya.

[ He exits & Kyle walks over.  Sitting
down on the table. ]

KRISTYN: I have zero time for some
 flirt trying to distract me at my
job again.  It’s so unprofessional.
KYLE: What?  You’re being delusional.
That is not what’s going on here.

[ After Kyle leaves, Kristyn takes a bottle
of medicine out of her purse.  Getting up,
she tosses it in the trash and walks out. ]


SCENE 4: Ski is on the phone.

SKI: Thanks for the next to no
warning about your guest.  I
have so much to do. 
MARK: Sorry babe, you know I’m
always forgetting stuff.
Do you need anything?
SKI: No, I’m fine.  So, who is this
guy you found for our
commercials?
MARK: You’ll see.  We’re just
finishing up a few things.  Be
home in a couple hours.
SKI: Okay, bye.

[ Two hours later the front door
opens.  Mark and his guest walk
inside. ]

“Hey Mark.  Mark’s friend.”

[ Mark raises his hand to Chaison.
He makes a face, running off. ]

LANDYN: Your kid calls you Mark? 
MARK: Yup.  That one does.

[ Suddenly Ski walks up to the
entrance way.  Seeing Landyn
standing there, he freezes and
drops the pan he has in his hand. ]

MARK: I guess we’ll be skipping that
part of the dinner, right?

[ He hits Landyn in the arm. ]

MARK: 86 the rolls! 

[ Mark starts to laugh.  And Ski
walks back in the kitchen. ]


SCENE 5: The end of Kristyn’s shift.

[ Amber is walking past floral and
Kristyn sees her. ]

“So Am, why is it your place to
spread my personal business
around? Just wondering?”

AMBER: I have no clue what
you’re talking about.

[ Amber walks away, looking concerned.

Kristyn grabs her stuff and walks right
out the door, not seeing Hahn watching
her leave. ]


[ Meanwhile, in the break room Kyle
 is emptying the trash can as a half full
pill bottle falls to the floor.  Curious
he picks it up and reads the label. ]

“Kristyn…”

[ Monica comes in behind him. ]

MONICA: Hey babe.  What’s that?
KYLE: Kristyn was acting weirder
than usual today and I think I
know why.


SCENE 6: In Mark & Ski’s kitchen.

“Sorry about the joke.  I can make
more bread.”

SKI: This isn’t about that.  You have no
clue who that is, do you?
MARK: I know his name is Landyn and
I hired him about a month ago.
SKI: Yeah, he’s also Weis’ ex.
MARK: Oh.  So, you’ve met before?
SKI: Not exactly.  But I’ve heard Joh
and Weis argue about him in the
break room.
He’s a drug addict.  And it’s probably
not safe for him to be around the
kids.

MARK:  Look, I know about that.  And
actually he went to rehab. He’s
doing fine now.
SKI: I don’t know. I'm guessing Weis
has no clue he's back in town.  

LANDYN: Hey, sorry to intrude but I
can hear you in the hallway.  I know
you’re friends with Weis and you
probably have a bad idea about
me.  So did Mark.  But I’m not the
same person I was back then. 

[ Ski looks at Landyn who is waiting
for a response. ]

SKI: Fine.  I guess I’ll be cool.
MARK: Great!  Now who wants a
drink?

[ Mark high fives Landyn. ]


Edited 01/14/17

No comments:

Post a Comment