March 1, 2013

" Getting Out "


SCENE 1: At Kristyn’s house (someone’s knocking).

[ She opens the door, not expecting anyone. ]

“What’s going on?  I thought you got off at 9.”

MONICA: Am’s covering for me. 

I think we should talk.

[ Inside the entrance way. ]

KRISTYN: So, what’s this about?
MONICA: Alright.  I’m not trying to assume 
anything at all.  But Kyle found these in the 
trash earlier.  

[ She takes a prescription bottle out of her 
bag and hands it to Kristyn. ]

KRISTYN: My medicine. Thank god.
I’ve been tearing this house apart.
MONICA: Girl, if your head wasn’t screwed on.

[ Kristyn starts to laugh, then nervously looks 
away. ]


[  Meanwhile, with Kyle at a local party… ]

“So, where’s your girl?  We’ve been dying to meet her.”

KYLE: She’ll be here soon.  Had a stop to make.
So, what this surprise that you brought for me?
MARTY:  Well, you said your job was stressing
you out.  Dude, this will calm you down for sure.

[ He hands Kyle a balloon & sits a small container
down on the table. ]

KYLE: What’s all this? Don’t tell me we’re making
animals out of these. 
MARTY: Not hardly, my dude.

 Get ready for the mind fuck of your life.


SCENE 2: A park, near downtown.

[ Markis steps out of a truck.  Looking
around, he gets out his phone. ]

‘Calling. . .Trey.’

[ After no answer, he leaves a message. ]

MARKIS: I get it. I should’ve told you it
wasn’t my crib.  But listen, Tie wouldn’t
hold the plants any longer and I only
have your bros truck until tonight.
So, if you have any ideas please
let me know.

Alright bye.

[ Frustrated, Markis sits down on a 
bench.  Looking at the ground, he
notices something shining in the
grass. ]


[ He picks up a necklace with ‘KING‘ 
spelled out on it.  Putting it in his
pocket, he starts  back to the truck.

Not paying attention, he bumps into
a girl that’s walking toward him. ]

MARKIS: My bad.  Hey, you dropped 
something.

[ Bending over, he picks up a small plastic bag
with a large sticker and writing on the front. The
girl snatches the bag back and starts to walk
off in a rush. ]


SCENE 3: Outside of the party. . .

“What was in that? I think I’m getting
 a headache.”

MARTY: I told you not to suck so hard, 
loco ass.

[ He laughs & takes the balloon out of Kyle’s hand. ]

KYLE: I need to sit down.  Monica’s gonna 
be here any minute. 
So who all did you invite anyway?
 MARTY:  You know.  Plenty of right chicas.

[ Kyle laughs.  Hearing the doorbell, he gets
up slowly before walking out of the room.  
Seeing Monica standing in the middle of
his friends, Kyle stays silent. ]

MONICA: Well, hey!  Sorry I took so long.

[ She hugs Kyle, not noticing his blank stare. ]

KYLE: Hey. . .um.

[ He starts to lean &quickly catches himself,
grabbing his head. ]

KYLE: Sorry, this headache.  Came on all of a
sudden.  

[ He kisses Monica.  Hearing a loud noise, they stop. ]

KYLE: What the hell?

[ Walking up to the door, he cracks it and sees
Marty lying on the ground.  Flinging it fully open, 
Kyle runs to him. ]


[ He kneels down, screaming for help. ]


SCENE 4: At the park, Markis is running.

[ Catching up to the girl, she turns around
 to face him. ]

“Why are you following me?”

MARKIS: Sorry, it’s just. . .
I could tell what was inside
your bag
STRANGER: It’s medical. And if you’re
looking for a score.  I’m not a dealer.

[ She starts to walk away. ]

MARKIS: Nothing like that.  Just give me
a minute to show you something.


[ The girl follows Markis to his truck.  He
opens the door, letting her look inside. ]

STRANGER: You grew all of these?
MARKIS:  Yup.  I had a business going until
my bro found out and threatened to
turn me in.   
STRANGER: A business, right.
MARKIS: Illegal, yes.  But me and my
three friends made bank, if you know
what I mean.


[ Markis shuts the door & they lean
against the back. ]

STRANGER:  It’s late.  The cops are all over town.  
Don’t you worry about getting caught?
MARKIS: Yeah, sometimes  

STRANGER: You know, there is an easier and
more legal way to do it.  If you’re willing to
do some work for it.  

MARKIS: Okay, I’m listening.



SCENE 5: In the hall, at the hospital.


            [ Monica is standing, while Kyle is sitting 
with his head down. ]



MONICA: How’s Marty doing?
KYLE: He’s awake.  That’s all they would
tell me.   
MONICA: Good, I’m relieved.  This has been one
hell of a night, I tell ya.
KYLE: Yeah, I shouldn’t of let things get so
out of hand.  I wasn’t thinking.

MONICA: So, you never said what exactly
happpend in there?

KYLE:  He was on an inhalant.  That’s what
caused him to fall down, I guess.
I don’t know much about them.
MONICA: Are you serious?  You know how
dangerous that is!  Wait a second. . .

 You didn’t participate, did you?
KYLE: Of course not babe.


[ Kyle stands up, facing Monica. ]
 
MONICA: Alright.  Go check on your friend.
 I’ll be out here. 



 [ Kyle’s enters Marty’s room and sees him
struggling, wrestling around and knocking
things over. ]


 “Whoa.  What’s going on?”


[ There’s no response. Suddenly Marty
turns around, just noticing Kyle. ]


MARTY:  I can’t hear.  Anything.



SCENE 6: Abandoned field, near the highway.




 [ Alone now, Markis is pulling plant after plant
out of the truck and emptying them out on
the ground.  Getting nervous, he sits back
looking at months and months of his hard
work laying all over. ]
 
“What am I doing?”



[ Thinking ahead, he pulls the cap off a gas can
and starts to douse everything in sight.  Taking
a second, he pulls out a torch lighter and lights
a piece of paper.  Stepping back, he launches
it into the air and it falls slowly down. ]

“Boom!”



[ With the crackling sound of the fire, Markis
watches as it slowly consumes it all. ]


No comments:

Post a Comment