November 20, 2013

Rule of None


SCENE 1:
Morning shift, TA.

[ Landyn cautiously enters the
store.  Looking down, he heads
quickly toward the break room
but instead bumps into Kristyn. ]

KRISTYN: Hey, I know you’ve been
busy running lines for our next
commercial but I figured after
the other night you would at
least call me.
LANDYN: You’re right.  We do need
to talk about things.  But right now
Mark needs me in his office.
KRISTYN: Oh, alright.  I’ll see you
later then.

[ Kristyn smiles at Landyn as he
walks by & waves. Moments later
Monica comes up to floral. ]

MONICA: That looked cozy.  Is
there something you’re not
telling me?
KRISTYN: Well let’s just say
Landyn becomes very bold
In private.
MONICA: Okay, and what does
that mean exactly?
KRISTYN: It means that he kissed
me.
MONICA: You’re kidding! 
KRISYN: No, I’m not.  And it was
long, hot, and extra extended.

[ Monica stares in surprise. ]

MONICA: Girl, you wild!


SCENE 2:

[ Marisa is driving downtown
when her phone rings. ]

“Hey, sorry it took me so
long to get back to you.”

MARISA: It’s cool, I’m glad that
you finally did. 
AIRYNN: We haven’t talked in
a long time.  What’s going on?
MARISA: I guess you haven’t realized
the damage your dumb dare has
caused your so-called friend.
Joh is facing serious charges
because of this.
AIRYNN: Hey, it’s not my fault.
I didn’t think he would do it.

MARISA: That’s not the point.
We’ve all three known each
other for most of our lives.
Through all of school &
even two years of college.

Are you ever gonna mature?
AIRYNN: I’m sorry.  It was just
a stupid joke.   Anyway, Stuu
told me how Joh has been
lately and maybe it serves
him right. 
So, what are you gonna do
now?
MARISA: I’ll take him to court,
 but If Joh doesn’t start acting
right I’m not going to stick
around.


SCENE 3:
Back inside TA.

[ Hours later, Kristyn meets
up with Landyn in the front
break room. ]

KRISTYN: Finally, we’re alone.

[ She gets closer to Landyn,
not noticing his expression. ]

LANDYN: Wait, just a minute.

[ Kristyn immediately backs up. ]

KRISTYN: What is it?
LANDYN: Look, the other night
when I kissed you.  I have no
idea what I was doing.  Literally.
KRISTYN: Well, it sure seems like
It.  You kept it going for an hour.
LANDYN: I know, I know.  And
It seems like I led you on.
Not to mention, it was
very unprofessional of
me to take it there in the
first place. 
KRISTYN: But I don’t care.
We can keep this just to
ourselves. 
LANDYN: I don’t think you
understand me.  The ex I
told you about.  That’s a guy
who works nights here.
 
I’m sorry.  I thought you
knew.

[ Kristyn stands there in shock. ]


SCENE 4:
Downtown at the Court House.

[ Marisa meets Joh inside. ]

MARISA: The security here is
tight.  I hate going in places
like this.
JOH:  Right, it sucks.  Bet
I know something else
that’s tight. 

[ Joh starts to laugh as people
begin looking in his direction. ]

MARISA: Knock it off.  I can’t
believe you smoked before
you got here.  What if the
judge realizes your high?
JOH: I’m sorry but I was
freaking out.  You would be
too, if you were in this
situation.  Trust me, it’s
no big deal.  Not like I do
it all the time.
MARISA: Fine, let’s just get
this over with.

[ Joh takes Marisa’s hand.  As
they attempt to walk into the
court room, an officer stops
them. ]

OFFICER: This is a closed session.

[ He points to Marisa. ]

OFFICER: She can wait out here.


SCENE 5:
A Café, near TA.

LANDYN: Thanks for meeting me,
man.  I had to get away from
Kristyn and her cold stares.

I feel so bad right now.
KYLE: I can’t believe you kissed
a chick.  Huge surprise for this
time in the morning. 
LANDYN: Right.  Leave it to me
to mess up again.  Hope
she’ll talk to me soon.
KYLE: I wouldn’t stress too much.
Kristyn’s pretty chill.  I’m sure
she’ll forgive you.  I’m the real
idiot though.
LANDYN: Why? Don’t tell me
you regret quitting TA now?
KYLE: Not at all.  I love what I
do, man.  It just.
LANDYN:  You also love Monica?
KYLE: Yeah, exactly.  I wish there
was some way to have both.

[ Suddenly Kyle receives a text
message on his phone & stops
talking. ]

KYLE:  Shit man, I gotta run.
LANDYN: But we haven’t even
eaten yet.
KYLE: It’s Ace.  Something’s wrong.

He needs me to drive him to
the hospital.


SCENE 6:

[ Marisa hears people talking
in the court room & she waits
for Joh to come walking out

Finally in sight, Marisa notices
the drained expression on his
face. ]

MARISA: What happened?
What did the judge say?

[ Joh looks up at Marisa. ]

JOH: Say hello to the newest
soon-to-be registered
sex offender.
MARISA:  If you’re playing games
with me, I promise Johsef.

JOH: Babe, I’m not.

[ He sits down on the bench. ]

JOH: For once today, I’m not.
MARISA: Well, what can we do?
This isn’t fair.  We have to fight
this.

[ Joh stands up facing her. ]

JOH: Maybe this was someone’s
plan to snap me back into reality.
Show me that unless I do what
I was taught from birth my life
will always go wrong, right?
Well, it didn’t work. 
MARISA: Wait, are you talking
about God?

You made the bad choice!

I can’t handle you like this
anymore.  You can’t even
own up to your own crap.

Joh, I’m done!

[ Marisa drives off with Joh 
still standing inside the 
court house. ]

 NEW PREVIEW: 11/27 ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment