February 19, 2014

Off Key

SCENE 1

[ Chais & Jenni are laying on
the couch together while Billy
is doing laps around it. ]

CHAIS: Dude, chill out
before Ski comes down
here bitching.

[ Billy returns to the couch. ]

BILLY:  Sorry but all of a
sudden I have this crazy
energy around me.
I can’t stop moving.

[ He starts shaking his leg. ]

JENNI: Maybe you should
have talked to his parents
before messing with his
meds.
BILLY: I can hear you.  And
their always saying I should
take it right.

So I did.  Anyways, I’m gonna
head home.  Be back later.

[ Billy runs out the door as Chais
brother comes downstairs looking
around. ]

JAI:  I swear, I heard cattle in
here just a second ago.

CHAIS: Yeah that was Billy.
High off his ass.

[ Chais laughs while everyone
else looks concerned. ]


SCENE 2
At Weis’ apartment. . .

[ People are lining up down
the driveway outside. ]

“You all ready for the auditions?”

WEIS: Yeah, I can’t believe
so many showed up.  Its
just a local band.  Now
I know we’ll find someone.

So, what are you gonna
do for two hours?

JOH: I’m gonna go see
what Stuu is up to.
WEIS: Cool, cool.  Well,
LeeVigh should be back
any time now to start.
JOH: I’m surprised you
got him to join you.
Ever since he got that
promotion.  He’s been
all about work.

WEIS: Yeah, I know.  That’s
why this will be a good thing.
Plus he’s a bad ass drummer.
JOH: Someone's here!

[ LeeVigh pulls into the drive
& parks his car, walking inside. ]

“You weren’t kidding about the
all day thing!”


SCENE 3
Back at Chais’ place.

CHAIS: Now that we’re alone.
I think we should talk.

[ Jenni sits up & looks at
Chais. ]

JENNI: About Billy?
CHAIS: No.  About that guy
I saw you talking to when
I picked you up earlier.

JENNI: Okay.  His name is
Juan.  He’s a new bagger.
What else would you like
to know?
CHAIS: I don’t know.  It seems
like he was flirting with you.
Do I need to talk to this guy?

[ Jenni gets off of Chais. ]

JENNI: No.  Do you not trust me?
Most guys flirt. 
CHAIS: Babe, it’s not that.

JENNI: Okay then.  Don’t worry.
Everyone knows I have a
boyfriend.  At school too.

[ She kisses Chais & he starts
to relax. ]


SCENE 4


[ Weis & LeeVigh are standing
behind a table as various male
musicians stand up to perform.

They give feedback right away. ]

WEIS: I’m sorry.  We didn’t feel
like it was enough.

[ The guy starts to walk away as
they whisper. ]

LEEVIGH: He was pretty good.
WEIS: I don’t think so.

Next one please!

[ After another hour of bad
auditions according to Weis,
LeeVigh pulls his band mate
aside. ]

LEEVIGH: I think you should
relax a little.  I mean some
of those guys could have worked.
WEIS: I just want the band to
work well together.  I know it
when I see it.

[ Suddenly Joh returns & he’s
not alone. ]

STUU: Hey guys, are you still
doing auditions?


SCENE 5

[ Chais & Jenni are watching
a movie when her phone
goes off. ]

CHAIS: Want me to pause it?
JENNI: No, it’s just a text.  I
can answer it later.

[ She quickly glances at it
& then puts it away. ]

CHAIS: Who was that?

[ Jenni looks up at him. ]

CHAIS: What? I’m just curious.

It was Juan, wasn’t it?
I can’t believe you gave
him your number.
JENNI: Calm down, he’s just
my friend.

CHAIS: Listen babe, I don’t
want you to talk to him.
He seems like a creep.
JENNI:  Well, I’m sorry you
fell that way but you do
not get to decide who my
friends are.

[ She stands up, facing Chais. ]

JENNI: I’m just gonna go.  See
you at school tomorrow.

CHAIS: You’re serious? 

[ She walks out the door
leaving him standing there. ] 


SCENE 6


“Hell no!

Absolutely not!”

STUU: Look, I know I haven’t
exactly gotten along with
either of you at points.

JOH: But he wrote a song.
And I think you should
hear it.
WEIS: Alright fine.

[ Weis & LeeVigh return to
the table.  With everyone else
gone, Stuu takes his position in
front of the mic, guitar in his hand.

He strums a few soft chords and then
powers into a mid-tempo love song. ]


Standing there, watching as Stuu digs
deep into his emotions.  Weis can’t
help but stare. ]

LEEVIGH: Alright, okay.

[ He puts his hand up. ]

LEEVIGH: What do you think?

WEIS: As much as I may regret
this later, I think we found
our 3rd member.


Congratulations, I guess.

NEW PREVIEW:



No comments:

Post a Comment