April 16, 2016

Before The Finale II: Backhand


SCENE ONE:
At home, dining room.

"I've been trying to reach
you all night.  Are you still
joining us at the dance hall?"

[ Syria places her phone down
getting up to prepare some
breakfast.  Kneeling at the
fridge, she almost jumps
with the noise of Sandie's
response. ]

"We'll be there sorry.  I do
appreciate the invite.  No
worries my friend. :]"

[ Not able to help herself, Syria
rolls her eyes at the misplaced
intent. ]

"I saw that look.  Who is it for?"

[ Hahn walks in to the kitchen,
facing her across the island. ]

SYRIA: It's nothing of concern.

Where are you off to dear?

HAHN: Charles asked me to go
running again. Something 
about having a lot more
energy nowadays, I don't 
know.
SYRIA:  Okay.  Just don't
wear yourself out before
we get to shake it.

[ Hahn smiles, kissing her. ]

HAHN: Everyone is going to
be surprised.  This night
is all about me, you, and
our seductive moves.

[ He pouts his lips & spreads
out his arms causing Syria to
nearly choke on her juice. ]



SCENE TWO:
Outside the workout center.

[ Finishing their run, Kyle grabs
Caleb's arm.  Dousing him with
water as they sit down. ]

CALEB: Is this how you treat all
your clients?

[ Kyle looks at him, thinking it
over. ]

KYLE: Yeah man, pretty much.  I
mean normally when you're here.
You're quiet, kind of brooding and
lately this.  I thought I'd take
advantage.

CALEB: Well thanks. It's been three
months since I had that break-
down.  I've obviously changed a
lot but I feel like my friends
don't see it.
KYLE: I get it.  They will though
and in the meantime just focus
on you like you have been
doing.

[ Suddenly Caleb grabs his stomach.
Turning over in pain. ]

CALEB: Hey I need to go out to
my car real quick.

KYLE: Sure.  I can take my free
hour now.  

[ Caleb heads to the lot, not expecting
his trainer to follow him. ]




SCENE THREE: 
Later that night.

[ After dining; Syria, Hahn,
and Trikl are waiting for
the dances to begin. ]

"Is that your real name?"

TRIKL: Yes.  Like the rain.

[ He tries to charm, leaving
Hahn uneasy. ]

SYRIA: Interesting.  So what
is it that you do?
TRIKL: I run a repair shop.
SYRIA: Hahn's good friend
works on cars some times.
TRIKL: Maybe I know him.

HAHN: You don't.  I think I
heard something about a
last call.  Maybe you should
find Sandie.

[ Syria leaves with her eye on
him while Hahn stands near
Trikl.

In the next room, Sandie is
walking slowly through a line
of dangling, crystal chandeliers. ]

[ She starts to run as row after
row flickers off above her head.
Faster & faster until she eventually
tumbles onto the floor, breathing
heavily.  

As she lays there laughing, Syria
comes into view. ]

"What are you doing? This room is
off limits."

[ She gets serious.  Following Syria
out. ]


SCENE FOUR:
Earlier inside Caleb's car.

"Is that really what helps you.

What about medicine?"

[ Caleb exhales, coughing a
little. ]

CALEB: I've been on countless
ones and they're all a joke.
I manage my symptons better
on my own.

KYLE: You know what if it's
working.  Then it's whatever
to me.  It's not the worst
thing you could be doing.

You seem like a decent
enough kid.

[ Caleb looks at Kyle. ]

CALEB: I'm not a kid.  And
yeah.  It should be legal
everywhere anyway.
KYLE: Maybe one day. Here
is fine because no one comes
over but I would suggest not
smoking in your car.  If you
wanna stay safest.

So what are your plans for
the rest of the day?

CALEB: Probably nothing.

[ Caleb hears his phone go off. ]

KYLE: That was me.  Text me if
you get bored.  Later.

[ He exits Caleb's vehicle. ]


SCENE FIVE:
Back at the hall.

[ Syria & Hahn are showing Sandie 
and her date the current dance. ]

HAHN: We must be on fire. Every-
one seems to be staring in this
direction.

[ He smiles, hand-in-hand with
Syria.  She glances over at
Sandie who is making out
at the side. ]

SYRIA: They're not looking at us.

[ She stops Hahn.  Walking over
to her friend, she clears her
throat. ]

SYRIA: You're suppose to be learn-
ing.
SANDIE: I think we have a good
grasp on things now.
SYRIA: Really.  And you think this
sort of behavior is appropriate.

Why are you acting like this?

[ She waits while Trikl is playing
in Sandie's hair. ]

SANDIE: Maybe because I'm tired
of hiding from you.  

This is Charles' brother.  And what-
ever your opinion on the matter is
you can save it.  We've already
heard enough.

[ They walk off the dance floor,
leaving Syria in surprise. ]


SCENE SIX:

[ Smiling, Caleb parks his car.
Saving his new friend's number,
he walks inside the house.

Tripping over boxes, he turns
on the light.  Seeing his dad
sitting at the kitchen table. ]

"What is going on?"

DAD: There's something I have
to tell you.  Sit down.

[ Caleb joins his dad, quietly. ]

DAD: It's my job.  They're reloca-
ting me.  We have to move out
by this summer.

[ Caleb immediately gets up. ]

DAD: I'm sorry.  There's nothing
I can really do.  Are you okay?

CALEB: I'm fine.  It's fine.  I'm
just worn out.  I need to lay
down.  

[ He exits the room. ]




No comments:

Post a Comment