November 13, 2013

Payin' Dues


SCENE 1:
At Mark & Ski’s house.

[ Ski rolls over in bed
& answers his phone. ]

 “Hey man.”

SKI: So, I got your text last
night.  How did you get that
crazy to leave the Salon?
HITHE: I paid him off.

SKI: Wow, I’m surprised.
HITHE: Yup.  Used the last
of the money I got from the
hospital.   Quite frankly I won’t
miss it. 
SKI: I can see why.  You heard
from Amber lately?
HITHE: Yeah, a couple of days
ago she said she was going
out with some new guy
but wouldn’t tell me who.
SKI: Weird, normally she wants
to talk about everything.
HITHE: Right.  Remember when
she was all secretive about her
vacation?
SKI: Oh yeah, that’s true.

[ Suddenly the bedroom door
opens.  Seeing the expression
on Mark’s face when he enters,
Ski soon hangs up the line. ]

SKI: Hey, what’s wrong?

[ Mark sits down on the bed ]

MARK: It’s about Ace.


SCENE 2:
At Weis’ apartment.

[ Weis is sitting in the living
room, dialing a number off
a piece of paper. ]

MARISA: Hello.
WEIS: Hey, it’s Weis.  Sorry for
the random call.  I got your
number out of Joh’s phone.

Hope it’s alright.
MARISA: Oh, you’re fine. 
WEIS:  Cool.  He didn’t come
home last night and we we’re
hoping he was with you.
MARISA:  No, I had no idea.
He’s been calling me like normal
but with school and meetings
I haven’t been able to get on
that side of town.
WEIS:  Wow.  Isn’t his court date
next week?
MARISA:  I’m taking him Monday
but now I’m starting to get
worried.
If he doesn’t straighten up there’s
no way the judge will rule in his
favor. 
WEIS: Yes, I know.  Me and Lee
are trying to get him to chill
out some.
MARISA:  Have him call me as
soon as he gets in please.

[ As soon as they hang up Joh
comes stumbling in the door. ]


SCENE 3:
Back at Ski’s place.

SKI:  So it was too dangerous to
remove from his arm.
What are they gonna do now?
MARK:  Try radiation, I guess.
SKI: Oh man.  This has to be so
hard on him.  I can’t imagine.
MARK: Yeah, he tries to hide
it but I know he’s scared.

[ Ski puts his arm around Mark
as he sits quiet with his head
down.

Chais enters the room. ]

CHAIS: Jenni’s coming to get
me soon. 

[ He tries to leave but is stopped
by Ski. ]

SKI: What did I tell you last night?
CHAIS: Keep our clothes on and
my hands above the waist.
SKI: Got it.  Have fun.

[ He leaves & Mark climbs into bed. ]

MARK: So, who is Jenni?
SKI: You don’t know?  Seriously.

The same girl that just started
bagging at TA on Am’s shift. 
MARK: Oh yeah, I met her the
other day.
SKI: Right.  She’s also your son’s
girlfriend. 

[ Mark looks stunned. ]


SCENE 4:
Meanwhile, at Weis’.

“Where the hell were
you dude?  People are
worried, in case you care.”

JOH: Sorry.  I just wanted
to celebrate my last few
good days on this earth.
WEIS: What are you talking
about?

JOH: Hello. Once I’m found
guilty people are just going
to cut me out.  Might as
well start being solo now. 
WEIS: Okay.  You’re being
a little ridiculous.  All you
can do is wait.
In the meantime, it would
be good to work on  your
alibi.
JOH: Yeah.  Alright.

[ The doorbell rings. ]

JOH: Get it.  My head is killing
me.  I’ll be laying down. 


[ Weis opens the door &
to his surprise sees Trey
standing in front of him. ]

WEIS: What are you doing here?


SCENE 5:

“So he’s been dating her
all summer and no one
thought to run that by me?”

[ Ski sits back a little. ]

SKI: Wait a minute, I’ve
been telling you for awhile
now to get to know Chais
but you’re always doing
things with Jay only. 
MARK:  Need I remind you
Chais has held a grudge over
me for a long time now.
SKI: The mom thing is a little
old, Mark.  He's still your son
and you should talk at least.

He wishes that you did.
If you’ve been paying any
kind of attention, you
would know that. 

MARK: Look, I don’t understand
where this is all coming from.

[ Ski starts to say something
until Chais walks in & stands
in front of them. ]

CHAIS: Hey, Jenni’s here. Can
you at least calm down until
we leave?

Thanks guys.

[ He walks out, sighing & 
rolling his eyes. ]


SCENE 6:
Outside Weis'.

WEIS: Is that what you
came back to tell me?
TREY: No, it’s not the only
reason.  I thought you should
know about my baby girl.
I wasn’t sure how you
we’re going to handle it.

WEIS: Yeah, I’m sorry about
the way I acted that night.
That wasn’t the real me. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
As much as I didn’t want to
admit, I needed the help.
This summer was good
and I can honestly say
that I’m not that guy
anymore. 
TREY: I never thought
you were.

[ Weis smiles. ]

TREY: Well, I have to go
pick up my daughter.

[ Trey starts to walk
away but turns around
to Weis’ call. ]

WEIS: Bring her around some
time, okay? 


[ Trey nods & gets in his car. ]


NEW PREVIEW: 11/20!


No comments:

Post a Comment